The very well preserved Knights Templar Chapel with its three tombs is an extraordinary symbol of their presence in this region of France.
In 1128, the City of Laon spontaneously supplied Louis VI with numerous militiae. The King of France then encountered an Anglo-Germanic Coalition such as Philip II Augustus had to face eighty-six years later. The wonderful elan of lords and voluntary troops foreshadowed the Battle of Bouvines (1214). In exchange, Louis VI gave the town peaceful institutions with a mayor and jurymen. The same year, in 1128, Bishop Barthélémy de Vir attended the Council of Troyes where, upon approval of Pope Honorius II, Bernard de Clairvaux participated in the elaboration and writing of the Knights Templar Rule. As soon as he came back, the prelate welcomed the Knights Templar and offered them a house on the Rue sainte-Geneviève that would soon become Rue des Templiers. His liberalities towards the knights bearing the white cape and the red cross pattée did not stop here and donations followed at Puiseux where only an underground gallery remains today, at Thouny where a ruined chapel still exists and at Cerny-en-Laonnois and Bertaignemont where not even a stone of the old Templar houses still stands.
Full story:The Knights Templar Chapel and Tombs in Laon | Trifter